Committee recommends approval of charter school in Hazelwood
Propel Schools, a nonprofit chain of charter schools, has the blessing of city schools review committee to open a charter school in Hazelwood.
The school board must still approve the application. A vote is scheduled Jan. 23.
The school would enroll students in kindergarten through 6th grade at the former St. Stephen's Catholic elementary school building.
An additional grade would be added each year until the school expands to the eighth grade.
Propel operates nine charter schools in the area, mostly in Mon Valley communities.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Israel hits 30 Gaza homes, kills senior militant
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End
- Heyl: Gravy train comes to an abrupt halt for Allegheny judges’ relatives
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry