Suspended deputy state attorney general and wife accused of child abuse waive hearing
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 4:14 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013
The Franklin Park couple accused of abusing their two adopted children have waived their preliminary hearing.
Douglas Barbour, 33, and Kristen Barbour, 30, were scheduled to appear before Leetsdale District Judge Robert Ford on Friday morning. They are now scheduled to appear at a formal arraignment on March 7.
The couple is charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of children and one count each of recklessly endangering another person, and simple and aggravated assault.
Prosecutors withdrew one count each of aggravated and simple assault against Douglas Barbour, a deputy state attorney general who is suspended without pay.
Police said the couple denied proper nutrition to their adopted 6-year-old son, who was taken to Children‘s Hospital of Pittsburgh on Sept. 14. When he was admitted, he weighed 9.5 pounds less than he did when he entered the United States from Ethiopia six months earlier.
Their 18-month-old daughter, also from Ethiopia and hospitalized the same day, had multiple healing skull fractures, police said.
They have been free on bail since Oct. 10.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript: May 24, 2013
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Both lanes of I-79 northbound near Cranberry now open
- Allegheny County Councilman Drozd leaves GOP, alleges dirty politics
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Comics take center stage at festival, convention in Pittsburgh
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.