Former state prison guard captain alleges gender discrimination
A former guard captain at SCI-Pittsburgh claims in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that she retired in June 2011 because of pervasive gender discrimination.
Pamela K. Teeter, age and address unavailable, says she was the only female captain at the Woods Run state prison and that male senior staff would refuse to talk with her directly and, instead, have messages relayed by other staff members.
Her attorney, Vicki Horne, and a Department of Corrections spokeswoman couldn't be reached for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak to 6
- Football, men’s basketball among Pitt teams to post highest Academic Progress Rate scores
- Crews called to possible drowning in Perry Township
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Santorum announces presidential run ‘where my American story began’
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Male suspect in custody from New Kensington shooting
- Central Catholic downs Norwin to win 1st WPIAL baseball title
- NHL notebook: Bylsma interviews for Sabres’ job