Algeria army takes hard line in militant battle
AIN AMENAS, Algeria — Algeria's state news agency says 12 hostages have been killed since the start of the operation to free workers kidnapped by Islamic militants at a natural gas plant in the Sahara.
The APS news agency quotes an unidentified security source for the new death toll and says the fatalities include both Algerian and foreign workers at the remote desert facility.
APS also said Friday that 18 of the hostage takers have been killed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- NFL notebook: Rams leave Sam off practice squad
- East Allegheny teachers set to strike on Tuesday
- MLB notebook: Astros fire manager amid dismal season
- Bike lane work to affect Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense