Algeria army takes hard line in militant battle
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, January 18, 2013, 7:06 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, January 19, 2013
AIN AMENAS, Algeria — Algeria's state news agency says 12 hostages have been killed since the start of the operation to free workers kidnapped by Islamic militants at a natural gas plant in the Sahara.
The APS news agency quotes an unidentified security source for the new death toll and says the fatalities include both Algerian and foreign workers at the remote desert facility.
APS also said Friday that 18 of the hostage takers have been killed.
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Woman charged in fatal Lawrence County accident that killed cyclist
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.