Algeria army takes hard line in militant battle
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, January 18, 2013, 7:06 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, January 19, 2013
AIN AMENAS, Algeria — Algeria's state news agency says 12 hostages have been killed since the start of the operation to free workers kidnapped by Islamic militants at a natural gas plant in the Sahara.
The APS news agency quotes an unidentified security source for the new death toll and says the fatalities include both Algerian and foreign workers at the remote desert facility.
APS also said Friday that 18 of the hostage takers have been killed.
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Sewickley man dies in overnight motorcylce accident
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Records show Mayor Ravenstahl spent $161K to aid Peduto foes
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.