Two people found dead in Clairton from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning
By Alex Nixon
Published: Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013, 5:48 p.m.
Two men died on Saturday night from an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a Clairton home, authorities said.
Rescuers needed more than an hour to clear the house on the 300 block of Mitchell Avenue of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas before they could enter, said Clairton Fire Chief John Lattanzi.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victims as William Chapman, 56, the homeowner, and his longtime friend Gary Townsend, 47, also of Clairton.
Autopsies will be performed on Sunday, the medical examiner's office said.
Lattanzi was unable to identify the source of the carbon monoxide, but said that “99 percent of the time it's the furnace.”
No one else was in the two-story brick home at the time, he said.
Chapman had lots of family in Clairton and “got along with everybody,” his nephew George Chapman said.
He hosted cookouts for his many nearby cousins and other family members, he said.
Terry Lee, who lived beside William Chapman for the last five years, described him as “a very nice guy.”
Emergency responders arrived on the scene about 5 p.m., Lattanzi said.
As soon as they opened the front door, a hazardous gas detector on the responder's medical bag sounded, he said.
Alex Nixon is a staff writerfor Trib Total Media. He canbe reached at 412-320-7829or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins center Malkin won’t play tonight vs. Sharks
- Kovacevic: Got proof on Tomlin? Let’s hear it
- Schmotzer resigns high-paid administrative job with Baldwin-Whitehall
- Ex-Steeler WR Wallace: It was a ‘challenge’ for Haley to use me
- Ex-Penguins winger Kennedy ‘emotional’ about return
- Businessman stole $3 million to keep his company going, lawyer says
- Dozens of workers strike outside Downtown fast-food locations
- Film about former Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis in prestigious festival
- Mars co-owner, world’s seventh-richest woman, pleads guilty in fatal Va. crash
- Giant Eagle combines ‘best of both worlds’
- Worker finds man’s body in Monessen