Worker apparently electrocuted at CMU
A 59-year-old man was killed Tuesday while working at Carnegie Mellon University.
Harold E. Taylor Jr. was apparently electrocuted, authorities said.
According to an automated phone call and text that CMU sent at 11:14 a.m. to staff and students, police and paramedics were called to Wean Hall on Frew Street for an “isolated incident involving someone working with an outside contractor.”
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, said Chris Robinson, acting area director of OSHA's Pittsburgh office.
Taylor was doing work at the school for the Eaton Corp., a Cleveland-based power management company, Robinson said.
Eaton is cooperating with police and investigators, company spokesman Mark Horner said. “Our hearts go out to our employee's family, friends and coworkers.”
The company is arranging grief counseling, he said.
Taylor died in a hallway, and no one saw what happened, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
CMU Vice President for Campus Affairs Michael Murphy expressed his condolences to Taylor's family and friends in an email to the campus community.
Rick Wills is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greek debt fears, surge in dollar nip at stock market
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Rayburn offering tax breaks to businesses along 2 roads
- Dayton man charged with stabbing friend
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Boaters expected to represent at Kittanning’s free summer concerts
- E. Allegheny teachers silent about finding
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- River traffic ‘cause for celebration’ on first weekend of open locks in Armstrong
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Labor board rules in favor of Kittanning union’s complaint against hospital