Worker apparently electrocuted at CMU
A 59-year-old man was killed Tuesday while working at Carnegie Mellon University.
Harold E. Taylor Jr. was apparently electrocuted, authorities said.
According to an automated phone call and text that CMU sent at 11:14 a.m. to staff and students, police and paramedics were called to Wean Hall on Frew Street for an “isolated incident involving someone working with an outside contractor.”
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, said Chris Robinson, acting area director of OSHA's Pittsburgh office.
Taylor was doing work at the school for the Eaton Corp., a Cleveland-based power management company, Robinson said.
Eaton is cooperating with police and investigators, company spokesman Mark Horner said. “Our hearts go out to our employee's family, friends and coworkers.”
The company is arranging grief counseling, he said.
Taylor died in a hallway, and no one saw what happened, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
CMU Vice President for Campus Affairs Michael Murphy expressed his condolences to Taylor's family and friends in an email to the campus community.
Rick Wills is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins