Worker apparently electrocuted at CMU
A 59-year-old man was killed Tuesday while working at Carnegie Mellon University.
Harold E. Taylor Jr. was apparently electrocuted, authorities said.
According to an automated phone call and text that CMU sent at 11:14 a.m. to staff and students, police and paramedics were called to Wean Hall on Frew Street for an “isolated incident involving someone working with an outside contractor.”
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, said Chris Robinson, acting area director of OSHA's Pittsburgh office.
Taylor was doing work at the school for the Eaton Corp., a Cleveland-based power management company, Robinson said.
Eaton is cooperating with police and investigators, company spokesman Mark Horner said. “Our hearts go out to our employee's family, friends and coworkers.”
The company is arranging grief counseling, he said.
Taylor died in a hallway, and no one saw what happened, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
CMU Vice President for Campus Affairs Michael Murphy expressed his condolences to Taylor's family and friends in an email to the campus community.
Rick Wills is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Motorcyclist injured in Westmoreland flown to Pittsburgh
- Dude’s The Man captures Adios at The Meadows
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Monongahela uses modern technology to connect people to the city’s historic past
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Steelers training camp has California University link
- Sen. Casey pushes for expansion of research into rare pediatric diseases