Crematories allowed in limited areas of Peters
Peters Council on Monday voted to allow crematories in two areas zoned for light industrial use: off Valley Brook Road west of Route 19 and off Valley Brook along Chartiers Creek.
A request to operate an on-site crematory from Cremation and Funeral Care by Danielle Andy Belusko on Route 19 prompted council to take up the issue. The funeral home is on Route 19 on land zoned for commercial use, where township zoning laws do not permit a crematory.
The township has received no applications for crematories in light industrial districts.
Under the legislation, crematories also must be located on at least one acre of land and cannot be closer than 750 feet from an existing residence, school or day care.
Last year, Audia Group Investments sued the township seeking permission to build the crematory at Cremation and Funeral Care, a funeral home that opened nearly a year ago. The suit is pending in Washington County Common Pleas Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- It’s not a small world after all: Global population estimated to soar
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Deputy vanishes amid Texas flooding
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Stats speak: Sliders stand between Pirates, playoffs
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Butler County man dies in accident on Route 68
- Ex-Gateway coach Smith making mark at Penn State
- Bethel Park retracts warning of respiratory illness
- Range Resources to pay $4.15M fine, close old gas drilling impoundments