Crematories allowed in limited areas of Peters
By Rachel Weaver
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 1:26 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Peters Council on Monday voted to allow crematories in two areas zoned for light industrial use: off Valley Brook Road west of Route 19 and off Valley Brook along Chartiers Creek.
A request to operate an on-site crematory from Cremation and Funeral Care by Danielle Andy Belusko on Route 19 prompted council to take up the issue. The funeral home is on Route 19 on land zoned for commercial use, where township zoning laws do not permit a crematory.
The township has received no applications for crematories in light industrial districts.
Under the legislation, crematories also must be located on at least one acre of land and cannot be closer than 750 feet from an existing residence, school or day care.
Last year, Audia Group Investments sued the township seeking permission to build the crematory at Cremation and Funeral Care, a funeral home that opened nearly a year ago. The suit is pending in Washington County Common Pleas Court.
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.