Crematories allowed in limited areas of Peters
Peters Council on Monday voted to allow crematories in two areas zoned for light industrial use: off Valley Brook Road west of Route 19 and off Valley Brook along Chartiers Creek.
A request to operate an on-site crematory from Cremation and Funeral Care by Danielle Andy Belusko on Route 19 prompted council to take up the issue. The funeral home is on Route 19 on land zoned for commercial use, where township zoning laws do not permit a crematory.
The township has received no applications for crematories in light industrial districts.
Under the legislation, crematories also must be located on at least one acre of land and cannot be closer than 750 feet from an existing residence, school or day care.
Last year, Audia Group Investments sued the township seeking permission to build the crematory at Cremation and Funeral Care, a funeral home that opened nearly a year ago. The suit is pending in Washington County Common Pleas Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM Rutherford ‘wouldn’t make’ Despres trade today
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Man’s body found hours after disappearance on Youghiogheny River
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- 15 Chinese nationals indicted in Pittsburgh for fraudulently taking college board exams
- Judge lashes UPMC, Highmark in consent decree violation hearing
- Crews working to free worker trapped in Lawrenceville trench collapse
- IRS cybersecurity breach touches lives of homebuyers, others
- Pitt study suggests health law attracting young to balance insurers’ risks
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way