Hopewell teacher accused of sexting, fondling student
Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 3:56 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Authorities on Wednesday accused a teacher at Hopewell Area High School in Beaver County of sexting a student and inappropriately fondling her over a nearly three-year period, according to court documents.
Joseph A. Rubino, 37, of Hopewell, who teaches science and formerly coached baseball, told investigators that in addition to sending the girl text messages of a sexual nature, she agreed to send him topless photos of herself, according to the criminal complaint.
Rubino, who is charged with nine felonies, told authorities that the inappropriate behavior began when the girl was a sophomore and continued through her senior year, according to the complaint.
The girl, now 18, reported the incident to school officials in September. Superintendent Charles Reina suspended Rubino without pay, according to the district.
Rubino was arraigned on Wednesday afternoon before District Judge Janet M. Swihart and released on a non-monetary bond. He faces a preliminary hearing before the judge on Jan. 31.
- Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
- Blowing late lead not a good sign for Penguins
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- High school roundup: No. 1 Canon-McMillan advances after topping Penn-Trafford
- Breakdown at end of Game 3 changes Senators series
- Frazier softball team advances to WPIAL Class A semifinals
- Steelers reach agreement with sixth-round pick Williams
- Obama meets Myanmar’s president
- Canon-McMillan wrestling coach stepping down
- Police: Missing Pennsylvania man may have run off
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.