1 killed, 2 injured in attempted robbery in Garfield
A masked gunman was killed and the two young men he was trying to rob were wounded in a shootout Wednesday during a home invasion in Garfield.
The shooting occurred at 6:06 p.m. “inside and outside” a home along Brown Way where two males — believed to be in their teens or early 20s — were playing video games when they were confronted by a man who came to the door, Pittsburgh police Lt. Daniel M. Herrmann said.
“There was a knock on the door, and one of the kids opened it to see a man wearing a mask and holding a gun,” Herrmann said. “He tried to shut the door, and the gunman fired, hitting the kid in the side of the face.”
“The (masked man) then fired several shots and the other kid inside who had a gun began shooting,” Herrmann said.
The masked man — who was carrying no identification — stumbled to the sidewalk where he collapsed and was found by paramedics, bleeding from at least a wound to the head. He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland and died at 6:37 p.m., a spokesman for the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said.
The young man who had been shot in the face ran outside, grabbed the gun from the fallen intruder and made his way to a neighbor's home to get help. The neighbor drove him to West Penn Hospital in Bloomfield. He was transferred to the trauma center at UPMC Presbyterian.
The second man, who had been shot in the side, went around the corner to Kincaid Street where he was found. He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian.
Their conditions were not known.
Herrmann said it is possible that the masked man was accompanied by at least one other man who has not been found.
Residents, who did not want to be identified, reported hearing several gunshots, a sound they say is all too familiar in the neighborhood.
Teams of city homicide detectives spent several hours combing the alley and backyards for evidence and trying to find witnesses. A police K-9 officer was used to search the neighborhood.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense