East Hills man killed in Garfield home invasion attempt
By Michael Hasch
Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 5:52 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013
The man fatally shot during a home invasion in Garfield was identified on Thursday as an East Hills resident.
Michael Andrews Jr., 27, died of wounds in his head and torso. The shootout occurred shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday at a home along Brown Way, a spokesman for the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said.
Andrews, who was wearing a mask and carrying a gun, knocked on the front door of a home where two younger men were playing video games, Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said.
Andrews shot one man in the face and exchanged gunfire with the second man, who was wounded in his side, before stumbling onto the sidewalk and collapsing. Andrews died a short time later in UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland.
The wounded men — who are 19 — were taken to the same hospital, and city homicide detectives interviewed them on Thursday.
Investigators have recovered several firearms, Stangrecki said.
He has not said why the home was targeted or what Andrews — who had convictions on drug and weapons charges — thought he would find there.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or email@example.com.
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Senators notebook: Anderson will remain in goal
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- Pitt baseball loses, has tough road to Big East final
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Fayette County casino to open July 1
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.