Rescuers free North Side woman pinned in porch collapse
By Michael Hasch
Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013, 5:54 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 31, 2013
A North Side woman was trapped in a metal staircase for more than 30 minutes on Thursday evening when her second-floor porch collapsed in the Allegheny Commons East apartment complex.
The woman — identified by relatives as Annette Wade, 51 — was conscious and talking when she was taken to Allegheny General Hospital with injuries on both legs, said G. Stephen Carlson, district chief of Pittsburgh's Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, who directed the rescue operation along East Ohio Street.
“She was walking down the steps when the whole porch came down like a bomb (around 5:22 p.m.),” said a neighbor, Valerie Taylor.
Two of Wade's nephews who had walked down the steps ahead of her — Chris Joseph, 25, and Bradie Jones, 26 — tried to lift the staircase, but her leg was trapped.
“When I came out, some people were holding up the steps so that there wouldn't be as much pressure on her legs,” said Jamisha Williams, a tutor for Circle of Hope Outreach Ministries.
“My aunt was in pain, she was cold, she was screaming for help,” Joseph said.
Paramedics and firefighters used power tools to cut the stairs and part of the wall to release Wade, Carlson said.
Jones said Wade has made complaints to management about the steps.
Apartment managers could not be reached for comment. City building inspectors are investigating.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pens’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Judges consider tossing $60M Penn State fund lawsuit
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Pitt adds defensive recruit from Philadelphia
- Market Square Farmer’s Market expanding
- Worker hurt on East Ohio Street bridge
- Judge: Murrysville man deserves jail time for collecting child porn, threatening postal inspector
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Wow i knew one of these days someones steps were going to fall down there all itsy and old every time i walk up and down my steps you hear pieces falling off its a shame that it happened to that lady i bet they or going to fix everybody steps now