Rescuers free North Side woman pinned in porch collapse
A North Side woman was trapped in a metal staircase for more than 30 minutes on Thursday evening when her second-floor porch collapsed in the Allegheny Commons East apartment complex.
The woman — identified by relatives as Annette Wade, 51 — was conscious and talking when she was taken to Allegheny General Hospital with injuries on both legs, said G. Stephen Carlson, district chief of Pittsburgh's Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, who directed the rescue operation along East Ohio Street.
“She was walking down the steps when the whole porch came down like a bomb (around 5:22 p.m.),” said a neighbor, Valerie Taylor.
Two of Wade's nephews who had walked down the steps ahead of her — Chris Joseph, 25, and Bradie Jones, 26 — tried to lift the staircase, but her leg was trapped.
“When I came out, some people were holding up the steps so that there wouldn't be as much pressure on her legs,” said Jamisha Williams, a tutor for Circle of Hope Outreach Ministries.
“My aunt was in pain, she was cold, she was screaming for help,” Joseph said.
Paramedics and firefighters used power tools to cut the stairs and part of the wall to release Wade, Carlson said.
Jones said Wade has made complaints to management about the steps.
Apartment managers could not be reached for comment. City building inspectors are investigating.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police arrest man believed to have killed officer
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title