Family of Allegheny County inmate who died in fight sue county, others
By Brian Bowling
Published: Friday, February 1, 2013, 6:40 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, February 2, 2013
The parents of a former Allegheny County Jail inmate who died of injuries he apparently suffered in a fight with another inmate claim in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Friday that the jail's medical staff ignored his worsening health for two weeks before sending him to the hospital.
Debra and Earl Black are suing the county, Allegheny Correctional Health Services and eight members of the medical agency's staff over the May 6 death of Derek Black, 28, of Bethel Park.
The lawsuit claims that Black and jail guards repeatedly asked the medical staff to examine Black, but the doctors and nurses ignored the requests from April 14-30, when Black was transferred to UPMC Mercy.
County spokeswoman Amie Downs declined comment.
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Southmoreland newcomer Shipley top Democratic vote-getter
- Longtime Perryopolis councilman loses bid
- Frankhouser, Wilson get Fayette row-office nods
- Details of the Senate immigration bill
- Dunbar Township incumbent wins nomination
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Challenger posts stunning upset in Monessen mayoral race
- Republican challengers triumph in 2 County Council primary battles
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.