Family of Allegheny County inmate who died in fight sue county, others
The parents of a former Allegheny County Jail inmate who died of injuries he apparently suffered in a fight with another inmate claim in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Friday that the jail's medical staff ignored his worsening health for two weeks before sending him to the hospital.
Debra and Earl Black are suing the county, Allegheny Correctional Health Services and eight members of the medical agency's staff over the May 6 death of Derek Black, 28, of Bethel Park.
The lawsuit claims that Black and jail guards repeatedly asked the medical staff to examine Black, but the doctors and nurses ignored the requests from April 14-30, when Black was transferred to UPMC Mercy.
County spokeswoman Amie Downs declined comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Mom charged in girl’s death in line for $1M from her trust fund
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- On the border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot