Family of Allegheny County inmate who died in fight sue county, others
The parents of a former Allegheny County Jail inmate who died of injuries he apparently suffered in a fight with another inmate claim in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Friday that the jail's medical staff ignored his worsening health for two weeks before sending him to the hospital.
Debra and Earl Black are suing the county, Allegheny Correctional Health Services and eight members of the medical agency's staff over the May 6 death of Derek Black, 28, of Bethel Park.
The lawsuit claims that Black and jail guards repeatedly asked the medical staff to examine Black, but the doctors and nurses ignored the requests from April 14-30, when Black was transferred to UPMC Mercy.
County spokeswoman Amie Downs declined comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark