Family of Allegheny County inmate who died in fight sue county, others
The parents of a former Allegheny County Jail inmate who died of injuries he apparently suffered in a fight with another inmate claim in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Friday that the jail's medical staff ignored his worsening health for two weeks before sending him to the hospital.
Debra and Earl Black are suing the county, Allegheny Correctional Health Services and eight members of the medical agency's staff over the May 6 death of Derek Black, 28, of Bethel Park.
The lawsuit claims that Black and jail guards repeatedly asked the medical staff to examine Black, but the doctors and nurses ignored the requests from April 14-30, when Black was transferred to UPMC Mercy.
County spokeswoman Amie Downs declined comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coyotes proliferate despite year-round hunting
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Rossi: Pirates must pay for Mr. Right
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- Kentucky senator Paul’s outside-the-Beltway thinking draws voters
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Blaze rips through Salem house