6-year-old crashes mom’s car, police say
By Matthew Santoni
Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 12:30 p.m.
Updated: Monday, February 4, 2013
A 6-year-old girl borrowed her mother's car and drove it about a half-mile Sunday morning before crashing into parked vehicles and a utility pole, Pittsburgh police said.
Zone 5 Sgt. Jerry Parker said the girl's mother was asleep in their Wickliff Street home in Lawrenceville about 9 a.m. when the girl, who is a few days short of her seventh birthday, decided she wanted to go see her father.
The girl took the mother's car keys, managed to get the car started and headed toward Stanton Heights, Parker said.
“Apparently she's tall for a 6-year-old,” he said. “How she knew how to operate a car, your guess is as good as mine.”
In the 900 block of Woodbine Street, the girl struck two parked vehicles and pushed one of them into a third, eventually crashing into a utility pole. No one was hurt, police said.
No charges have been filed as of Sunday afternoon, but an investigation is ongoing,
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- LinkedIn outstrips Web class
- Just hold on, 911 officials say of busy signals, but frustrated callers want explanation
- The Benghazi scandal: Obama’s buck
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
If this kid had walked outside with an unloaded BB gun, the SLEEPING mother, would have been charged with 15 different things, even though, the chance anyone would be hurt is about nil. However, don't secure the keys to a 4000 pound killing machine, and they have to THINK about charges? Sounds to me like the police have their priorities screwed up. Should some people not be allowed to own guns? Yes. Should some people be not be allowed to breed, YES, and this is the perfect case to prove it.