Westmoreland County man accused of shooting at stepson
By Mary Pickels
Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 2:28 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
A Smithton man was jailed on Sunday, charged with attempted homicide because police said he shot at his stepson on Saturday.
Ronald David Roth, 49, was arraigned before Export District Judge Charles Conway. He also was charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.
State police at Belle Vernon, with the assistance of the state police special emergency response team, took Roth into custody at his residence.
According to police, Roth and two other people were shooting guns at a dumping site in the 400 block of Fitz Henry Road in South Huntingdon at 2:45 p.m. Saturday.
Roth's stepson Clinton Metz, 21, of Belle Vernon drove onto the property to where Roth and two others were shooting, police said. Metz stopped about 10 feet from Roth, and Roth fired a pistol into the vehicle.
As Metz turned the car around and pulled away, a second shot struck the rear window and nearly hit Metz in the back of the head, police said.
Trooper Matthew Gavrish said he was unaware of any history between the men that might have led to the shooting. He said Roth gave no explanation for the incident.
Roth was placed in the Westmoreland County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bond.
He faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 13 before Scottdale District Judge Charles Moore.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer forTrib Total Media. She canbe reached at 724-836-5401or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- Tsarnaev’s role in triple slayings examined
- Judicial nominee wins easy approval
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Utah teen held in deaths of brothers
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.