Westmoreland County man accused of shooting at stepson
A Smithton man was jailed on Sunday, charged with attempted homicide because police said he shot at his stepson on Saturday.
Ronald David Roth, 49, was arraigned before Export District Judge Charles Conway. He also was charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.
State police at Belle Vernon, with the assistance of the state police special emergency response team, took Roth into custody at his residence.
According to police, Roth and two other people were shooting guns at a dumping site in the 400 block of Fitz Henry Road in South Huntingdon at 2:45 p.m. Saturday.
Roth's stepson Clinton Metz, 21, of Belle Vernon drove onto the property to where Roth and two others were shooting, police said. Metz stopped about 10 feet from Roth, and Roth fired a pistol into the vehicle.
As Metz turned the car around and pulled away, a second shot struck the rear window and nearly hit Metz in the back of the head, police said.
Trooper Matthew Gavrish said he was unaware of any history between the men that might have led to the shooting. He said Roth gave no explanation for the incident.
Roth was placed in the Westmoreland County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bond.
He faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 13 before Scottdale District Judge Charles Moore.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer forTrib Total Media. She canbe reached at 724-836-5401or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consultant hired to help Brentwood decide on EMS
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- DEP releases details of cases of drinking well contamination from drilling
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- How to keep seniors safe from falls at home
- Deer Lakes golf team winning with a workmanlike approach
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC