Two residents found dead at North Side YMCA
By Jason Cato
Published: Monday, February 11, 2013, 10:18 a.m.
Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013
The deaths of two residents of the North Side YMCA whose bodies were found in separate rooms Monday morning do not appear to be suspicious or related authorities said.
Autopsies, while inconclusive, do not show any sign of injury on the men, who have been identified as Robert Weege, 49, and Michael Butterworth, 58, a spokesman for the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said. A ruling on the cause and manner of their deaths will not be made until toxicology and other tests are completed, the spokesman said.
Crews from the medical examiner's office and the Pittsburgh police department responded about 9 a.m. to the Y, which houses approximately 90 men and offer exercise equipment to members.
Resident Mike Parise, 45, said he knew both men and that they lived on the third floor.
Rig Riggins, chief executive officer of the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh, said many of the men living at the Y “are facing health issues, addiction recovery or mental issues.”
He said the nonprofit YMCA partners with other agencies to help the men.
“The Y community is deeply saddened by the tragic, seemingly unrelated, deaths of two of the Allegheny Y's residents on the North Side,” Riggins said in a statement. “The Greater Pittsburgh YMCA has provided single occupancy rooms for adult men since its inception over 159 years ago.”
Jason Cato is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7936 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff writer Michael Hasch contributed to this report.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- Cheswick Council agrees to buy firetruck
- Chamber to become regional with merger
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Highmark to extend self-insurance plans to small businesses
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Conrad, Phillips share Daily News Softball Coach of Year honors
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.