Student charged in assault on North Side school administrator
A student was arrested Wednesday on charges of punching and threatening to kill the operations director of Clayton Academy, a North Side alternative education center for troubled Pittsburgh Public Schools students.
Deandre Watkins, 18, was charged with aggravated assault and related crimes. He is accused of attacking Corey Benson during a confrontation that erupted at 11:30 a.m. because he took a phone into school, a criminal complaint states.
Watkins refused to leave the school grounds or turn in the phone as ordered, according to the complaint, and told Benson he would go to his home “tonight to kill you,” before punching him in the face and pushing him against a wall.
Benson and Watkins required medical treatment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Power 5 conferences’ paying cost of attendance worries schools large and small
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- NFL notebook: Seahawks warned 15-yard penalty for Lynch obscene gesture
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- One killed in Washington Township crash
- IUP men, women remain among Division II basketball elite
- Ambridge native attemps to build college baseball coaching career at tiniest of outposts
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition