Student charged in assault on North Side school administrator
A student was arrested Wednesday on charges of punching and threatening to kill the operations director of Clayton Academy, a North Side alternative education center for troubled Pittsburgh Public Schools students.
Deandre Watkins, 18, was charged with aggravated assault and related crimes. He is accused of attacking Corey Benson during a confrontation that erupted at 11:30 a.m. because he took a phone into school, a criminal complaint states.
Watkins refused to leave the school grounds or turn in the phone as ordered, according to the complaint, and told Benson he would go to his home “tonight to kill you,” before punching him in the face and pushing him against a wall.
Benson and Watkins required medical treatment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wolf vetoes bill privatizing Pennsylvania’s liquor system
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Man who threatened to jump from bridge in custody
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Attorney General’s twin sister sued by FBI agent ex-boyfriend
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Bower Hill Road a source of concern
- Indiana Twp. boy gets long-awaited liver transplant
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim
- Writings attributed to jailed Plum teacher dubbed evocative of stalker