Etna woman dies in crash; police await test results on other driver
State police are awaiting test results before deciding whether to charge a driver involved in a fatal crash on Route 28 late Saturday, investigators said.
Trooper Thomas Snyder reported Jared P. Schillinger, 28, of Cheswick showed “signs of intoxication” after the 11:15 p.m. crash in Sharpsburg that killed Rikki A. Fleming, 18, of Etna.
Fleming was driving north in the left lane of Route 28 about a half-mile north of the Etna interchange, police said, when Schillinger came up behind her and failed to slow his Volkswagen GTI hatchback before it hit her Hyundai Tiburon.
Fleming's car was forced up an embankment in the median and overturned. Although police said Fleming was wearing a seat belt, she was thrown from the car. She did not have any passengers.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office pronounced her dead at the scene about 15 minutes later. An autopsy on Sunday revealed a laceration to Fleming's heart and blunt-force trauma to her body and limbs caused her death, which the medical examiner's office ruled an accident.
Police said Schillinger was not injured, nor were his two passengers, Andrew R. Callender, 29, of Tarentum and Cody A. Roberts, 27, of Pittsburgh. All three were wearing seat belts.
Liz Hayes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She canbe reached at 724-226-4680 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins call up prized defensive prospect Pouliot
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator