Fire chases residents from Carrick apartment building
By Matthew Santoni
Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, February 17, 2013
A three-alarm fire damaged an apartment building, displaced residents and left one firefighter with minor injuries Sunday evening in Carrick, authorities said.
Firefighters were originally called to the building in the 2300 block of Brownsville Road about 5:30 p.m. for a dryer fire in a basement beneath Doug's Den, but first responders found fire spreading throughout the three-story apartment building.
It took firefighters until shortly after 7 p.m. to bring the fire under control, according to Allegheny County 911 dispatchers. One firefighter suffered minor injuries to his hand and was transported to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, for treatment.
The Red Cross provided food, clothing or shelter to 14 residents of the building, including three children.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched for soreness in right knee
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- 57 W.Pa. hopefuls missed filing deadline, data show
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.