Brockway businessman named to Pitt board of trustees
State Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati, R-Jefferson County, on Monday appointed Brockway businessman Peter Varischetti to the University of Pittsburgh's board of trustees.
Varischetti, a 1992 Pitt graduate is president of Varischetti Holdings, LP in Brockway. He succeeds recently retired state Sen. Mary Jo White, who has served as a commonwealth trustee at Pitt since 2004.
Varischetti Holdings, a family owned organization, includes a real estate investment firm, power metal manufacturing company, a construction equipment dealership, an oil and gas field services company and a consulting firm for the waste industry. Varischetti also is a shareholder, director and officer of Guardian Elder Care Holdings, Inc., which operates 30 nursing homes, a rehabilitation services business, long-term care pharmacy and a home health company.
He also is president of Varischetti Sports, LLC, which holds a minority ownership of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Varischetti joins state Senate Democratic Leader Sen. Jay Costa, D-Forest Hills, whom Scarnati reappointed to the Pitt board on Monday.
Debra Erdley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7996 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New movie studio coming to McKees Rocks
- Student arrested at Shaler High School in round up of 35 Allegheny County drug dealers
- Ex-judge in Philadelphia charged with bribery, conspiracy in sting case
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Bell Acres police investigate attempted child luring
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- One Direction bring 2015 stadium tour to Heinz Field
- Study: Renewables as green as you’d expect
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance