Brockway businessman named to Pitt board of trustees
State Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati, R-Jefferson County, on Monday appointed Brockway businessman Peter Varischetti to the University of Pittsburgh's board of trustees.
Varischetti, a 1992 Pitt graduate is president of Varischetti Holdings, LP in Brockway. He succeeds recently retired state Sen. Mary Jo White, who has served as a commonwealth trustee at Pitt since 2004.
Varischetti Holdings, a family owned organization, includes a real estate investment firm, power metal manufacturing company, a construction equipment dealership, an oil and gas field services company and a consulting firm for the waste industry. Varischetti also is a shareholder, director and officer of Guardian Elder Care Holdings, Inc., which operates 30 nursing homes, a rehabilitation services business, long-term care pharmacy and a home health company.
He also is president of Varischetti Sports, LLC, which holds a minority ownership of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Varischetti joins state Senate Democratic Leader Sen. Jay Costa, D-Forest Hills, whom Scarnati reappointed to the Pitt board on Monday.
Debra Erdley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7996 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates over Dodgers
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- United States proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match between top Euro teams
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike