Man killed in Washington County auto accident
By Rick Wills
Published: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 3:00 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, February 24, 2013
A volunteer firefighter responding to a report of a fatal accident in Hanover discovered that the victim was his brother-in-law.
Frederick Speers III, 53, of Burgettstown lost control of his Jeep while driving north on Purdy Road in Hanover when he drove off the road Friday night, according to Washington County Coroner Timothy Warco. Speers' vehicle hit a tree, rolled down an embankment and into a creek.
Victor Wright, a member of the Hanover Volunteer Fire Department, was among those firefighters responding to the crash.
Wright identified Speers, who is his brother-in-law.
“When we heard the location, I had a gut feeling it could be him,” said Wright, who is 65 and has been a volunteer firefighter for 18 years.
“I've seen too much of this over the years. But you never want to come onto one of your relatives,” he said.
Speers worked for Wright's well and pool service company. Speers was the father of five children.
Firefighters and police had to break into the car, where they found Speers dead.
The cause and manner of death are pending autopsy results.
The crash was discovered by a passing FedEx truck about 9 a.m., Warco said.
Speers was alone in the vehicle.
State police are investigating.
Rick Wills is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Woman charged in fatal Lawrence County accident that killed cyclist
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.