Pregnant woman reports attack at Century Square Shopping Center in West Mifflin
West Mifflin police will send a substance they found at the scene of an attempted abduction to a crime lab for chemical analysis as part of their effort to identify a would-be kidnapper, Chief Kenneth I. Davies said.
A pregnant woman, 22, told police she was waiting for a bus about 9:30 p.m. Monday along Century Drive in the Century Square Shopping Center when a man grabbed her and placed something doused in liquid over her mouth, Davies said.
Police did not identify the woman, who told officers she saw the man drive into a nearby parking lot and get out of his vehicle before approaching her with questions about the bus schedule.
The man walked back to his vehicle, then returned and grabbed her, police said. She told investigators she broke free and ran to Mountainview Drive, where she called police.
Officers arrived within two minutes, the chief said, but could not find the man. Police described him as white, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 170 pounds, with a husky build, “scruffy face” and blondish-brown hair.
The woman told police the man wore a green jacket with pockets on the front, a multi-colored hat and possibly blue jeans.
She said he drove a small, four-door “box-style” turquoise vehicle from the 1990s without hubcaps.
She reported no injuries but went to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, for evaluation, police said.
Officers are reviewing video surveillance from cameras in the area, Davies said. Anyone with information is asked to call West Mifflin police at 412-461-3125.
Tony LaRussa is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7987 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- NFL notebook: Seahawks activate cornerback Lane
- Michigan State humbles Penn State in finale
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- Road Trip! Destination: Bardstown, Ky.
- Exhibits celebrate Pittsburgh artist Haskell’s works
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Leechburg woman’s Pajama Project helps clothe kids in need