Pregnant woman reports attack at Century Square Shopping Center in West Mifflin
West Mifflin police will send a substance they found at the scene of an attempted abduction to a crime lab for chemical analysis as part of their effort to identify a would-be kidnapper, Chief Kenneth I. Davies said.
A pregnant woman, 22, told police she was waiting for a bus about 9:30 p.m. Monday along Century Drive in the Century Square Shopping Center when a man grabbed her and placed something doused in liquid over her mouth, Davies said.
Police did not identify the woman, who told officers she saw the man drive into a nearby parking lot and get out of his vehicle before approaching her with questions about the bus schedule.
The man walked back to his vehicle, then returned and grabbed her, police said. She told investigators she broke free and ran to Mountainview Drive, where she called police.
Officers arrived within two minutes, the chief said, but could not find the man. Police described him as white, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 170 pounds, with a husky build, “scruffy face” and blondish-brown hair.
The woman told police the man wore a green jacket with pockets on the front, a multi-colored hat and possibly blue jeans.
She said he drove a small, four-door “box-style” turquoise vehicle from the 1990s without hubcaps.
She reported no injuries but went to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, for evaluation, police said.
Officers are reviewing video surveillance from cameras in the area, Davies said. Anyone with information is asked to call West Mifflin police at 412-461-3125.
Tony LaRussa is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7987 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Some Thomas Jefferson HS parents told to bring more appropriate clothes to school for their kids
- Paramedics rescue flip-flop-wearing man from steep hillside
- Young adults drive home rental trend in Western Pennsylvania
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers
- End in sight for Route 28 construction
- Harrison fire cause can’t be found
- Ex-Pittsburgh teacher settles discrimination suit
- 10 awesome things you didn’t know your phone could do
- Moon man arrested on child porn charges
- Penguins confident Pouliot will be healthy, ready for camp
- West Mifflin fire displaces family