Indiana County woman accused of injuring daughter, 7
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013, 12:45 a.m.
Updated: Monday, April 22, 2013
A 33-year-old Indiana County woman is accused of severely spraining her 7-year-old daughter's left wrist and lacerating her lip — injuries that were discovered last week by a school nurse who sent the youngster to a hospital, state police said Monday.
Rebecca Lynn Smith of Dilltown is accused of hurting her daughter at 5 p.m. Thursday at a residence along Armerford Road, East Wheatfield. The girl's injuries were discovered on Friday by the nurse at the United Elementary School at Armagh, who had the girl transported to the Indiana Regional Medical Center in White, state police said. State police were called to the hospital after the girl was taken to the facility.
Evidence was found that suggested the girl had been suffering from physical abuse for some time, police said.
Smith was charged by state police with misdemeanor counts of simple assault and endangering the welfare of children and a summary offense of harassment. She was arraigned Friday before Blairsville District Judge Jennifer Rega and released from Indiana County Jail after posting $10,000 bond.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday before Rega.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Seattle-area bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Wounded veteran gets mortgage-free Dormont house
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.