Body found at Ohiopyle may be missing Somerset County man
By Mary Pickels
Published: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 2:21 p.m.
A badly decomposed body found Saturday at Ohiopyle State Park is believed to be that of a man missing from Somerset County since Jan. 2.
Fayette County Corner Dr. Phillip E. Reilly said Sunday that investigators suspect the body is that of Jeremy Walker, 29.
Allegheny County forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht is performing an autopsy, Reilly said.
“Identity is going to rely on dental records,” he said.
“It is a suspected drowning. We may be able to determine that with some degree of certainty,” Reilly said.
The body was discovered at the water's edge, entangled in trees.
“That water level changes,” Reilly said.
The body was down river from where Walker was believed to have been lost, Reilly said.
Search and rescue teams, including volunteers and dog teams, conducted ground and water searches.
The man's car was found in Ohiopyle, park officials said at the time. Walker was known to visit the park, officials said.
“Nobody else is missing. That is one reason to suspect (the body is Walker's). We would like to lock down the identification and determine if it was a drowning or some other (cause),” Reilly said.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC to city: Try to tax our subsidiaries
- Obama hopes to replicate CCAC job training efforts across U.S.
- Cueto gets best of Bucs, as Reds take series
- Starkey: Fleury’s future at stake
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Authorities plan to withdraw charge against bullied South Fayette student
- Police: Volunteer firefighter admits to setting fires
- Five years later, Crosby wants another Cup win
- Penguins’ Malkin expects to play in Game 1
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- Connellsville police hitting the streets on foot and bikes