Man dies after falling through ice at Moraine State Park lake
A man died after falling into the water while ice fishing at Moraine State Park in Butler County.
Kenneth Andres, 73, of Butler was fishing alone on Saturday when he fell through the ice, said Dan Bickel, the park's manager.
Andres was fishing in a section of Lake Arthur near Prospect. He was spotted in the water at about 4 p.m. Park officials are uncertain how long he had been in the water by then.
Earlier Saturday, a number of people were ice fishing at the lake, Bickel said, but most left as the weather warmed.
Andres was wearing a life jacket. The Butler County Coroner's Office will rule on a cause of death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Martial law replaced in Thailand by security order
- Former Pittsburgh teacher to stand trial on felony charge involving student
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- Duquesne grants release for 2 men’s basketball players
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steelers WR Washington joins Texans after signing 1-year deal
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- Two Western Pennsylvania veterans’ suicides raise questions
- Bethel Park Police arrest 3 for thefts at Walmart