Woman arrested in shooting of husband in South Strabane
A Washington County woman shot her husband inside and outside their apartment before he fled to a neighbor's home, leaving a trail of blood, police said.
South Strabane police said they found Latasha Stapp, 26, outside the apartment in Clubhouse Circle, crying while talking on her cell phone, after the shooting about 8:45 p.m. Tuesday. Police arrested her on attempted homicide and other charges.
Tyler Stapp, 27, was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital for treatment of several bullet wounds, police said in a criminal complaint. Authorities did not know his condition.
Officers who handcuffed his wife said they followed a trail of blood to the back bedroom of a neighbor's residence, where they found Stapp in a blood-soaked T-shirt. He told them his wife shot him, police said.
The couple's children, ages 5 and 7, were in the apartment during the shooting and were placed in protective custody, police said.
District Judge Jay Weller ordered Latasha Stapp held on $250,000 bail, court records show. She remains in custody. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 25.
Police said witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots at the Stonecreek Luxury Apartments off Route 19.
When they arrived and saw Latasha Stapp outside, she told officers she shot her husband inside their apartment and again outside before throwing the handgun in bushes, police said.
Officers found a shell casing near the couple's apartment door and another in a bedroom. Blood stained the floor and bed.
Police said the couple kept firearms in the closet.
Jason Cato is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7936 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Highmark CEO sues health insurer for $32 million
- Pitt’s Bisnowaty ‘ready to go’ but may not start vs. Youngstown State
- Highmark Health reports $171M operating loss for 1st half of year
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Inmate charged with smuggling drugs into Westmoreland prison
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Brady free to play after judge rules against NFL in ‘Deflategate’
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- 2 arrested after Jeannette raid turns up heroin, crack, gun
- Dukes kick off conference play on national television
- Fifth Third Bank selling Pittsburgh branches to First National