Catholic schools get free day Tuesday to celebrate new pope
Catholic school children in the Pittsburgh diocese will get a day off school Tuesday in honor of Pope Francis, Bishop David A. Zubik announced Friday.
All Catholic schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh will be closed that day, which is the date of the Holy Father's inaugural public Mass in Rome.
Zubik is asking people to attend a celebration Mass 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland. And “we will celebrate together all that means to us as we begin our pilgrimage together under the leadership of our new Holy Father,” he wrote in a statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- More witness intimidation charges are filed against Plum teacher
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Penguins bringing back defenseman Cole with 3-year extension
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- Brooklyn man’s cross-state taxi ride leads straight to jail in Uniontown
- Pittsburgh Public Works supervisor disciplined for text message
- Snappers treat revitalizes Lawrenceville’s Edward Marc Brands chocolatier
- Murrysville native Bullock vying for health magazine’s ‘Next Fitness Star’