Catholic schools get free day Tuesday to celebrate new pope
Catholic school children in the Pittsburgh diocese will get a day off school Tuesday in honor of Pope Francis, Bishop David A. Zubik announced Friday.
All Catholic schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh will be closed that day, which is the date of the Holy Father's inaugural public Mass in Rome.
Zubik is asking people to attend a celebration Mass 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland. And “we will celebrate together all that means to us as we begin our pilgrimage together under the leadership of our new Holy Father,” he wrote in a statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- NHL notebook: Former Penguin Despres gets $18.5 million deal from Ducks
- MLB notebook: Mariners fire McClendon after 2 seasons as manager
- Short-handed West Virginia to face challenge in Oklahoma State passing attack
- Penn Hills literacy project adds mini library
- Photo Gallery: Johnny Appleseed Day at Highcliff Elementary
- Yatesboro teen died from artery anomaly
- Violence spreads to Gaza Strip
- Pittsburgh International Airport to focus on attracting new airlines, increase facility’s usage
- ‘Post-Ebola syndrome’ hospitalizes British nurse
- House OKs end of oil export ban adopted in 1970s in response to Arab embargo