Catholic schools get free day Tuesday to celebrate new pope
Catholic school children in the Pittsburgh diocese will get a day off school Tuesday in honor of Pope Francis, Bishop David A. Zubik announced Friday.
All Catholic schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh will be closed that day, which is the date of the Holy Father's inaugural public Mass in Rome.
Zubik is asking people to attend a celebration Mass 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland. And “we will celebrate together all that means to us as we begin our pilgrimage together under the leadership of our new Holy Father,” he wrote in a statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Suspect in Route 28 death has long history of ignoring vehicle registration, license laws, records show
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show