Catholic schools get free day Tuesday to celebrate new pope
Catholic school children in the Pittsburgh diocese will get a day off school Tuesday in honor of Pope Francis, Bishop David A. Zubik announced Friday.
All Catholic schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh will be closed that day, which is the date of the Holy Father's inaugural public Mass in Rome.
Zubik is asking people to attend a celebration Mass 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland. And “we will celebrate together all that means to us as we begin our pilgrimage together under the leadership of our new Holy Father,” he wrote in a statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- Authorities identify 2 men killed in fiery crash in Pittsburgh
- Spirit ending nonstop flights from Arnold Palmer Regional to Chicago, Las Vegas
- Storms knock out power to thousands of customers in Western Pa.
- Inside the Steelers: Wide array of receiving options shine
- Thirsty pit bull turned on Arnold neighbors
- Bridge project forces closing of Route 30