PennDOT cancels weekend Squirrel Hill Tunnel shutdown
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:21 a.m.
PennDOT is canceling plans to shut down the Squirrel Hill Tunnel over the weekend because bad weather is expected.
Work crews were scheduled to begin removing the tunnel's ceiling as part of a $49.5 million tunnel rehabilitation project.
Traffic, however, will still be reduced to a single lane in the tunnel beginning on Friday evening into Saturday morning, according to PennDOT.
The National Weather Service in Moon is forecasting a 50-percent chance of light snowfall beginning on Sunday afternoon in Allegheny County with little or no accumulation. The chance of snow is expected to increase to 90 percent on Sunday evening with accumulation possible, according to the forecast.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Led by Kittanning’s Nolf, 3 locals win Class AA state wrestling titles
- Pirates notebook: Liriano looks to complete consecutive quality seasons
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
- Greensburg woman accused of assaulting nurse in Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital
- Riverhounds drop preseason home opener to Virginia
- Robert Morris advances to NEC title game
- Penguins stave off Ducks’ shooting barrage to win in shootout
- West Virginia withstands Wiggins’ 41 points, upsets No. 8 Kansas
- Pitt rallies in final seconds of overtime en route to OT victory over Clemson
- Donor name to be stripped from Penn Hills library
- County confirms bacteria source of Northview Heights boy’s death