Firefighters rescue dozens from Garfield apartment building fire
Mike Dodds spent the third morning in his new apartment climbing out of a third-story window to escape a fire.
“I opened the front door and there was black smoke billowing into my apartment,” said Dodds, 28, of Garfield. “I was trapped. I couldn't get out.”
Pittsburgh firefighters used ladders to rescue 24 people, including Dodds, early Monday when flames from a chemical fire filled the stairwell of the three-story building on North Negley Avenue.
“I'm terrified of heights,” Dodds said. “I had to put myself out there and take the risk.”
Investigators determined the fire, which was reported about 7:10 a.m., was accidental. Chemicals left in a hallway by maintenance workers somehow ignited, acting police Cmdr. Kevin Kraus said.
The fire trapped many people in their apartments, fire Chief Darryl Jones said.
“I thought I was going to have to jump,” said Everette Middlebrook, 21, who was visiting family in a third-floor apartment. “The only way out was the window. When I saw the ladder, I felt relieved.”
Falling snow made the climb down feel treacherous, she said.
“It was really scary,” Middlebrook said. “The ladder was really slippery. When my foot would touch a bar, it would slip.”
Paramedics hospitalized four people with smoke inhalation and treated 10 others at the scene, Jones said. Kraus said one man, 68, was in good condition in UPMC Presbyterian. He did not have information on other patients.
“This could've been a tragedy of enormous proportion,” Jones said.
Aaron Patterson, 20, said he grabbed his car keys, wallet and coat before climbing down the ladder.
“It's sad,” Patterson said. “A lot of people don't have fire insurance. It was a lot of thick smoke.”
A message left with JJ Land Co., listed as the building owner, was not returned.
One cat died in the fire, and the Animal Rescue League treated four others for smoke inhalation, Executive Director Dan Rossi said.
“They had heavy smoke inhalation, just as people would,” Rossi said. “We sent up oxygen in a tent — it's a plastic enclosed area where we pump oxygenated air in. It helps clean out their system and gets the carbon monoxide out.”
The owners of three of the cats claimed them, but Rossi said he's still trying to find the owner of an orange male cat.
It's not clear how many people the fire displaced, but Lauren Ashley, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross, said that agency was assisting five adults and one child with clothing, food and shelter.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Century III Mall’s Sears on track to close Dec. 7
- Braddock agency is a lifeline for commuters
- Food bank CEO hopeful of tax break for donors
- McKeesport’s Davis is vice chair of county Dem party
- Parade to start off Winterfest in Glassport
- Fire marshal investigating the cause of Wilmerding house fires
- Thousands depend on Mon Valley area red kettle drive
- Black Friday trends, tactics change, but Americans still love bargains
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman