High school student fatally shot on McKeesport street
Homicide detectives are searching for the person who gunned down a McKeesport Area High School sophomore on Friday afternoon.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Kellcy Thomas, 18. An autopsy is scheduled for Saturday.
Police said Thomas was in the 1400 block of Evans Street in McKeesport when he was shot in the upper chest about 3:35 p.m. He was taken to UPMC McKeesport where he died, according to the medical examiner's office.
“He was just a little boy lying there (in the street),” said Naida McDaniel of Evans Street. “He was a teenager, but he was a baby. That's just outrageous. That was so sad. I just started crying.”
McKeesport police and detectives from the Allegheny County homicide squad scoured the area in search of evidence and potential witnesses.
They are seeking the public's help to identify a suspect. Those with information can call the county homicide unit at 412-473-1300.
McKeesport school officials said grief counselors will be provided to help students cope with the incident.
“The safety of our students is a top priority at the McKeesport Area School District and it is saddening to hear of the tragedy this afternoon,” school officials said in a statement. “The district's thoughts are with the family of the victim during this difficult time.”
Residents who gathered near the scene said such incidents of violence are becoming all too frequent.
“This used to be such a quiet neighborhood,” said Erica Griffin, who has lived on Evans Street for 22 years. “Last summer it was scary. You couldn't even sit outside for fear you'll get shot.”
Stacy Lee is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Staff writers Jennifer R. Vertullo and Tony LaRussa contributed to this report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Wealth gap largest on record, Pew study shows; McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries; more
- Salvation Army edges closer to campaign goals
- WM wrestling rebuilding after losses to graduation
- West Mifflin man charged with risking catastrophe
- West Mifflin soccer fields nearly done, but play will be delayed
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Valley New Dispatch spotlight athletes: Highlands’ Ashlyn Jonczak, Cheswick Christian Academy’s Ben Pollock
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale