Blaze engulfs house in Hempfield
Two aerial fire trucks steadily shot water at an abandoned house in Hempfield as it was engulfed in flames Friday night. Fire crews were called to 1083 Bailey Farm Road just before 6 p.m. State Police at Greensburg said the white, two-story home in a wooded area was abandoned. Westmoreland County property records show the 4-acre property is owned by Karen Folwick and Thomas W. Haines.Multiple volunteer fire departments, including Kecksburg, Mutual, Dryridge, Greensburg, Norvelt and Hempfield were called to help control the flames. Because of the lack of available fire hydrants on the rural street, at least two tankers shuttled back and forth to supply water. Firefighters were concerned the fire would rekindle overnight.
A cause or damage estimate was not available.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Phone scam from Jamaica reported in Allegheny County
- Developer pursues application for Strip District apartments
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Fire forces North Side residents from apartments
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- U.S. proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- Bacteria found in bread factory not a health hazard, company says
- Drive-thru window sees major change at Monroeville fast-food restaurant
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers