Fire hits Robinson apartment complex
Colby Cox was attending his sister's baby shower in Robinson on Saturday when someone looked out the window and saw smoke billowing from an apartment building nearby.
Cox, 18, and his brother ran to the three-story building at 1900 Ventana Drive and started knocking on doors — and then breaking them down — to see whether anyone was inside. Everyone got out, and Cox said he figures they saved at least two or three dogs and some pet birds.
“It was a quick fire,” said Cox of Chippewa. “Our intention was to get out any living thing.”
The first 911 call came at 4:17 p.m., an Allegheny County dispatcher said. Flames engulfed one unit by the time firefighters arrived, and the blaze spread to at least four other units when the roof and part of an exterior wall collapsed. No one was injured.
“We had heavy smoke and heavy fire from the roof,” Moon Run fire Chief Paul Kashmer said.
The fire stunned residents of the development, which has many multiple-unit buildings across a steep hillside.
Mike O'Rourke, 40, of Columbus, Ohio, was helping a buddy move into one of the buildings when they saw the fire.
“We just pulled up and smelled something burning,” O'Rourke said. “And then about five minutes later, we looked up, and the building was engulfed.”
They, too, began pounding on doors to alert people.
Erika Vasquez, 40, a resident of the building that caught on fire, was returning from a workout when she saw the flames. She ran up to find her unit destroyed with firefighters inside spraying down the walls to keep embers from flaring.
She had lost almost everything — except her dog, Lola, a pug-Jack Russell terrier mix. “This is the only thing that really matters,” she said, covered in soot from cuddling the dog.
Firefighters from Robinson's three volunteer companies as well as units from Kennedy, Stowe and Emsworth responded to the blaze, according to authorities.
Kashmer said he could not estimate the extent of the damage or immediately identify the cause of the fire.
Andrew Conte is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com. Staff writers Bill Vidonic and Tony LaRussa contributed to this report.
Add Andrew Conte to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Pittsburgh police officer hurt in motorcycle crash
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Twelve selected for jury in Ferrante trial
- Butler Township moves to block drilling in residential areas
- Pitt to play Notre Dame 5 times over next 11 seasons
- French oil CEO killed when private jet collides with snowplow during takeoff in Moscow
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Alleged abuse by Franciscan friar nets $8M for 88 former students