Greater Latrobe student killed in car crash
A Greater Latrobe Area Senior High School sophomore killed Wednesday night in a car crash was remembered Thursday as a happy person.
Sarah J. David, 15, of Second Street, Latrobe, was friendly and “very well-liked,” said school Principal Steven LoCascio.
David was interested in digital media and split her time between the high school and the Eastern Westmoreland Career & Technology Center, LoCascio said.
“She was an extremely talented photographer and excelled in the digital media technology program,” said Todd Weimer, principal at the career and technology center.
Grief counselors were made available at both schools Thursday.
David was killed when the car in which she was riding left Linn Run Road in Cook Township, hit a post, overturned and struck several trees before coming to rest on its roof, police said.
The Westmoreland County Coroner's Office ruled the cause of death as blunt force injuries to the head, chest and abdomen.
David, who was riding in the backseat of the car, was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash, according to the coroner's office. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the 2004 Chrysler Concorde was being driven by Ryan Pape, 20, of Greensburg, when the accident occurred shortly after 7:15 p.m.
Police said Pape and two of the passengers — a 17-year-old male and a 16-year-old female whose hometowns were listed as Latrobe — were taken to Conemaugh Memorial Hospital with unspecified injuries. Their names were not available.
Pape was listed in fair condition Thursday afternoon.
John J. Lopatich Funeral Home in Latrobe is handling David's funeral arrangements.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Missed chances haunt Chiefs against Steelers
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- LaBar: Reigns could be WWE’s next big gamble
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- SWAT teams surround Lincoln-Lemington home after shooting
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Old-school booksellers learn to survive, thrive in digital age