Gorilla gives birth at Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Published: Monday, April 15, 2013, 3:36 p.m.
A gorilla at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium that gave birth last week has been showing zookeepers her little one.
Moka, a Western lowland gorilla, gave birth on Friday. Zookeepers have not determined the baby's gender, said spokeswoman Tracy Gray.
Moka gave birth to a baby last year that died four months later for unknown reasons.
Western lowland gorillas are considered an endangered species because of the loss of their habitat, poaching and disease.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Police: Fayette man took money from foreigners in exchange for passing driver’s license exam
- Penguins center Sutter is thriving despite unsettled 3rd line
- Motivated quarterback Roethlisberger fights to prop up Steelers
- Health-insurance mandate poses potential hitch for volunteer fire companies
- Kovacevic: Why give credence to Heisman?
- Steelers notebook: Worilds loses sack; Big Ben gets 1st career catch
- Shaler grad Thorpe finding his way at PSU
- Vanaski: Obama not alone in our love of selfies — even at funerals
- Police: Panhandler claimed to be trooper in Latrobe
- Mercer County town keeping Tommy gun meant for Dillinger