2 men killed in Ohio River Boulevard crash in Ben Avon
A two-car crash killed two New Brighton men and injured two others early Wednesday on Ohio River Boulevard in Ben Avon, authorities said.
Paramedics pronounced driver David Mooney, 19, and passenger Christopher Lantzy, 22, dead at the scene, said a spokeswoman with the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were hospitalized with injuries from the crash about 2:20 a.m. when Mooney's southbound car crossed the center line and hit a northbound car, Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said.
“An officer patrolling about a block from the area heard what he thought was an explosion and he saw a plume of smoke,” Micklos said. “Everybody in the vehicles was injured severely.”
The driver of the northbound car had leg injuries and a female passenger in Mooney's car broke several bones, Micklos said.
“The car was so twisted and mangled, it was difficult to determine who was where,” he said.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
“It could've been mechanical, driver error, speeding, wet roads,” Micklos said. “It could've been a multitude of things.”
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dow Chemical, Olin in $5B cash-and-stock deal
- Roundup: Sunoco gas station at Pittsburgh airport to close for upgrades; Google, Johnson & Johnson team up to build robot surgeons; more
- West Virginia basketball great Hundley dies at 80
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- 2 New Kensington-Arnold candidates removed from primary ballot
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Credit card use reflects confidence, flat wages
- Man in New Kensington standoff charged
- Vandergrift Sons of America gives back to the community
- Leechburg hosts vigil to halt drugs, violence in the community
- Budget work ahead for Southmoreland School District