2 men killed in Ohio River Boulevard crash in Ben Avon
A two-car crash killed two New Brighton men and injured two others early Wednesday on Ohio River Boulevard in Ben Avon, authorities said.
Paramedics pronounced driver David Mooney, 19, and passenger Christopher Lantzy, 22, dead at the scene, said a spokeswoman with the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were hospitalized with injuries from the crash about 2:20 a.m. when Mooney's southbound car crossed the center line and hit a northbound car, Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said.
“An officer patrolling about a block from the area heard what he thought was an explosion and he saw a plume of smoke,” Micklos said. “Everybody in the vehicles was injured severely.”
The driver of the northbound car had leg injuries and a female passenger in Mooney's car broke several bones, Micklos said.
“The car was so twisted and mangled, it was difficult to determine who was where,” he said.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
“It could've been mechanical, driver error, speeding, wet roads,” Micklos said. “It could've been a multitude of things.”
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Peterson’s hearing for appeal of suspension scheduled for Dec. 2
- WVU notebook: Back-up plan nearly works for Mountaineers
- Air Force reservist apparently settles firing lawsuit against U.S. Steel
- NHL notebook: Stars’ Spezza signs 4-year extension
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Oh, bother! Winnie the Pooh banned in Poland
- Aviary hopes you’ll laugh with joy, delight at ‘Silent Flight’
- Photo reprints from WPIAL championship games available
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title