2 men killed in Ohio River Boulevard crash in Ben Avon
A two-car crash killed two New Brighton men and injured two others early Wednesday on Ohio River Boulevard in Ben Avon, authorities said.
Paramedics pronounced driver David Mooney, 19, and passenger Christopher Lantzy, 22, dead at the scene, said a spokeswoman with the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were hospitalized with injuries from the crash about 2:20 a.m. when Mooney's southbound car crossed the center line and hit a northbound car, Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said.
“An officer patrolling about a block from the area heard what he thought was an explosion and he saw a plume of smoke,” Micklos said. “Everybody in the vehicles was injured severely.”
The driver of the northbound car had leg injuries and a female passenger in Mooney's car broke several bones, Micklos said.
“The car was so twisted and mangled, it was difficult to determine who was where,” he said.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
“It could've been mechanical, driver error, speeding, wet roads,” Micklos said. “It could've been a multitude of things.”
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Black Friday trends, tactics change, but Americans still love bargains
- Light of Life offers ‘More Than A Meal’ Thanksgiving event
- District college game of the week: Washington & Jefferson at Mount Union
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Researchers at Pennsylvania’s top universities take to the web to fund projects
- Youngwood Fire Department to dedicate memorial at station
- Allegheny County Council wants to hike members’ $3K expense accounts
- Gridiron nomad Christian makes last collegiate stop at WVU
- Pitt receiver Boyd continues to grow on and off the field
- Penn Hills boy who drowned remains an inspiration to parents