2 men killed in Ohio River Boulevard crash in Ben Avon
A two-car crash killed two New Brighton men and injured two others early Wednesday on Ohio River Boulevard in Ben Avon, authorities said.
Paramedics pronounced driver David Mooney, 19, and passenger Christopher Lantzy, 22, dead at the scene, said a spokeswoman with the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were hospitalized with injuries from the crash about 2:20 a.m. when Mooney's southbound car crossed the center line and hit a northbound car, Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said.
“An officer patrolling about a block from the area heard what he thought was an explosion and he saw a plume of smoke,” Micklos said. “Everybody in the vehicles was injured severely.”
The driver of the northbound car had leg injuries and a female passenger in Mooney's car broke several bones, Micklos said.
“The car was so twisted and mangled, it was difficult to determine who was where,” he said.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
“It could've been mechanical, driver error, speeding, wet roads,” Micklos said. “It could've been a multitude of things.”
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Recent early retirements in NFL could be trend — or simply a coincidence
- Charleroi man jailed in teen sex assault case
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Mother of Kiski student files lawsuit against bus company, driver
- Business roundup: DEP to hold 1st hearing on Shell permit for cracker plant; more
- Frazer residents rattled by potholes
- Vietnam Veterans Celebration at Tarentum VFW brings ‘brothers’ back together
- Rostraver man arrested on multiple drug charges
- Apollo to assess owners of vacant properties
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack