2 men killed in Ohio River Boulevard crash in Ben Avon
A two-car crash killed two New Brighton men and injured two others early Wednesday on Ohio River Boulevard in Ben Avon, authorities said.
Paramedics pronounced driver David Mooney, 19, and passenger Christopher Lantzy, 22, dead at the scene, said a spokeswoman with the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Two people were hospitalized with injuries from the crash about 2:20 a.m. when Mooney's southbound car crossed the center line and hit a northbound car, Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said.
“An officer patrolling about a block from the area heard what he thought was an explosion and he saw a plume of smoke,” Micklos said. “Everybody in the vehicles was injured severely.”
The driver of the northbound car had leg injuries and a female passenger in Mooney's car broke several bones, Micklos said.
“The car was so twisted and mangled, it was difficult to determine who was where,” he said.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
“It could've been mechanical, driver error, speeding, wet roads,” Micklos said. “It could've been a multitude of things.”
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Shell shovels millions into proposed Beaver County plant site
- EPA diktats: Pushing back
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- McCandless woman 1st in region with implant aimed at halting seizures