Allegheny County Bomb Squad burns suspicious device found in Hampton
The Allegheny County Bomb Squad burned a suspicious device that was found Thursday in a tire in a wooded area between South Pioneer Road and Route 8 in Hampton.
A man scavenging for discarded items found what appeared to be a container for a powdered beverage around 4:30 p.m., smelled gasoline and called police, Sgt. Thomas Duffy said. The container, which had a liquid inside, had a butane lighter taped to the plastic lid, he said.
The bomb squad wanted to look at the device and decided to burn it on site, Duffy said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- 2 injured in Strip District shooting
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Flooded out of Big Easy, veterinarian builds new life in Lawrenceville
- Independent bookshops find ways to keep going with new owners
- ‘Banshee’ props, inventory up for sale
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- New Orleans slow to heal 10 years after Hurricane Katrina