Campaign banner removed from Cathedral of Learning
University of Pittsburgh police have removed a campaign banner that was hung from the Cathedral of Learning on Friday afternoon, university spokesman John Fedele said.
A group calling itself “Students for Peduto” unfurled what it called a 60-foot-long banner reading, “Pitt 4 Peduto,” the organization said in an email to the media. The group says it is supporting City Councilman Bill Peduto in his campaign for the mayoral nomination in the Democratic prirmary. The email also contained reasons the group supports Peduto and not Jack Wagner. Other candidates are not mentioned in the email.
Fedele said Pitt police found no one with the banner and are investigating. He said police will complete their investigation before deciding if criminal charges are warranted or if anyone should face the school's Judicial Board of Conduct.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bomb plot trial ends in Saudi’s conviction
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins’ competition among bottom six
- Sophomore stars carry Beaver Falls to 3rd finals appearance in 4 seasons
- Trib Cup: South Park girls look ahead to PIAA tournament
- High school notebook: Armstrong, Freeport know playoff opponents
- Few in Westmoreland County opposed to expansion plan for Mariner pipeline
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon boys oust Hempfield
- Move to Canon-McMillan means less travel for wrestlers headed to Southwest Regional
- Jihadi John, slashing terrorist, is unmasked as Briton
- WPIAL finalists feature skilled scorers, playmakers on perimeter