RAD sales tax receipts decline
The Allegheny Regional Asset District collected 5.4 percent less in sales taxes this month compared to April 2012, RAD officials said Tuesday.
RAD supports parks, libraries, stadiums and cultural groups with half of the proceeds of an additional 1 percent sales tax in Allegheny County.
RAD's collection totaled $6.2 million this month, down $357,000 from a year ago. David Donahoe, executive director of RAD, said he did not know exactly why, but speculated that cold temperatures may have kept shoppers at home.
RAD receipts lag by two months, so the money RAD collected in April came from purchases made in February.
Donahoe said groups' distributions should be not be affected unless the decline persists.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- National Weather Service predicts up to 7 inches of snow before Sunday night
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Rossi: Pirates must pay for Mr. Right
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- Man killed in Shaler house fire identified
- Coyotes proliferate despite year-round hunting
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Chicago’s 1st black major league baseball player Minoso dies
- Penguins’ Kunitz makes a dream come true