Volunteer firefighter killed in motorcycle crash in Lawrence County
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 9:48 p.m.
A volunteer firefighter in Lawrence County was killed in a motorcycle crash Tuesday afternoon in Hickory, east of New Castle, township police Chief Michael Vitale said.
Daniel Gallatin, 69, a longtime volunteer in Scott, was stopped to turn into his daughter's driveway on Route 956 when he was struck from behind by a sport utility vehicle driven by Laura Gargiulo, 41, of Wilmington, Vitale said.
State police accident reconstruction specialists are aiding township police in the investigation to determine if charges are warranted, Vitale said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Kovacevic: Still waiting on Malkin, Crosby
- Rossi: Lack of together time showing for Penguins’ defense
- Shale oil, gas drilling boom wins favor with labor unions, thwarting environmentalists
- Norwin volleyball using fast-paced offense to offset lack of height at hitting positions
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- Fleury a bright spot among struggling Penguins in playoffs
- ‘Common knowledge’ about slot machines often wrong
- LaBar: Did WWE referee know finish to Undertaker match?
- Community group to preserve Dravosburg cemetery’s history
- Cool chemistry: Programs at Springdale library take inspiration from late science professor