Indiana County man charged in assault on toddler
A man has been charged with assaulting his 20-month-old stepchild, who was fighting on Saturday to remain alive in an Allegheny County hospital.
Juan Campbell, 27, of 88 Susan Drive, Burrell Township, was charged Friday night with aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and endangering the welfare of a child before Clymer District Judge George Thackik, according to Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty.
Campbell was jailed in lieu of posting $150,000 cash bond.
The child has life-threatening injuries and is in Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Dougherty said.
Indiana County 911 received a call at 2:33 a.m. Friday that reported the child was not breathing at the Susan Drive home.
The toddler suffered head and torso injuries, authorities said.
At the time, the child's mother was reportedly hospitalized, having just given birth.
Authorities searched the home via a search warrant on Friday.
Dougherty said he would not release more details into the incident at this time.
A state police at Indiana report was not immediately available.
“It's still an ongoing investigation,” Dougherty said. “We will release details as we know them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Perfect storm rains heroin, pain pills onto Mon Valley
- Thirsty pit bull turned on Arnold neighbors
- Dorfman: Sane Portfolio XIV features chickens, tires, diesel engines, airlines
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Cops: North Charleroi home invasion suspect IDs himself
- Auto sales strong in July on SUV, luxury demand
- Selective storm hits parts of Mon Valley
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson