Indiana County man charged in assault on toddler
A man has been charged with assaulting his 20-month-old stepchild, who was fighting on Saturday to remain alive in an Allegheny County hospital.
Juan Campbell, 27, of 88 Susan Drive, Burrell Township, was charged Friday night with aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and endangering the welfare of a child before Clymer District Judge George Thackik, according to Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty.
Campbell was jailed in lieu of posting $150,000 cash bond.
The child has life-threatening injuries and is in Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Dougherty said.
Indiana County 911 received a call at 2:33 a.m. Friday that reported the child was not breathing at the Susan Drive home.
The toddler suffered head and torso injuries, authorities said.
At the time, the child's mother was reportedly hospitalized, having just given birth.
Authorities searched the home via a search warrant on Friday.
Dougherty said he would not release more details into the incident at this time.
A state police at Indiana report was not immediately available.
“It's still an ongoing investigation,” Dougherty said. “We will release details as we know them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Google Chromebooks, apps transform instruction at Knoch High School
- Coca-Cola shaves incentives for executives
- Rayburn offices moving to regular business hours
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- State agency honors Manorville man for hooking up kids with fishing gear
- Schools converge for Armstrong County Marching Band Festival
- Port Vue upgrades office equipment
- W. Elizabeth council mulls replacing damaged garage
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans