Storm, rain announce cold front's arrival
School children poured out of PNC Park Thrusday afternoon after heavy rain and thunderstorms halted the Pirates game and sent kids scrambling for cover.
Bob Coblentz, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Moon, said a school administrator called him to ask about the weather and decided to bring his students home from the baseball game. The game later resumed.
“What you see right now is pretty much what you're going to see through the evening hours,” Coblentz said.
The National Weather Service predicted thunderstorms will hit Allegheny County, north-central Washington County and Northwestern Westmoreland County. Lightning, small hail and winds gusting up to 30 mph will accompany the storms, according to the special weather statement from the weather service.
Coblentz said the storms are the leading edge of a cold front that will move through the area Thursday evening. Temperatures Friday and through the weekend will sink, with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 30s, Coblentz said. The rain may stick around for Friday, but it should clear up for the weekend, the weather service predicted.
There has been at least one report of downed utility wires. Duquesne Light could not be immediately reached to check if people were without power.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Parents alerted to luring attempt of fourth-grade girl in Springdale
- Driver leaps from sliding truck just before it topples down hillside in Fawn
- EPA urges further review of nuclear waste dump in Parks Township
- LCB, Duquesne University police recover rare bourbon in illegal sale
- Gunman sought in gas station robberies in Jefferson, Buffalo townships
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- 3 arrested in recent McKeesport business burglaries
- BNY Mellon expands role for treasury exec
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought
- Area basketball teams embrace opportunities to play for championships