Storm, rain announce cold front's arrival
School children poured out of PNC Park Thrusday afternoon after heavy rain and thunderstorms halted the Pirates game and sent kids scrambling for cover.
Bob Coblentz, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Moon, said a school administrator called him to ask about the weather and decided to bring his students home from the baseball game. The game later resumed.
“What you see right now is pretty much what you're going to see through the evening hours,” Coblentz said.
The National Weather Service predicted thunderstorms will hit Allegheny County, north-central Washington County and Northwestern Westmoreland County. Lightning, small hail and winds gusting up to 30 mph will accompany the storms, according to the special weather statement from the weather service.
Coblentz said the storms are the leading edge of a cold front that will move through the area Thursday evening. Temperatures Friday and through the weekend will sink, with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 30s, Coblentz said. The rain may stick around for Friday, but it should clear up for the weekend, the weather service predicted.
There has been at least one report of downed utility wires. Duquesne Light could not be immediately reached to check if people were without power.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pittsburgh zoo receives $9M gift — largest ever — from Mellon Foundation
- Officials: Broken rail caused February W.V. train derailment
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released
- Pennsylvania hardliners mum on GOP House leadership