Resident of Squirrel Hill home for seniors diagnosed with non-fatal Legionnaires'
A resident at the Weinberg Terrace senior home in Squirrel Hill has Legionnaires' disease, but no evidence suggests the resident contracted the illness at the facility, according to the Allegheny County Health Department.
County health officials said the illness is an isolated case. They have not recommended that Weinberg Terrace take any special action, spokesman Guillermo Cole said Thursday. He said the resident was diagnosed with a non-fatal case of the disease, a form of pneumonia, within the last week or so.
“At the present time, we have no reason to believe the facility was the source,” Cole said. “We'll continue to monitor things.”
Waterborne Legionella bacteria can cause the disease when inhaled by the elderly or others with weakened immune systems. Cole said Weinberg Terrace is running voluntary tests of its water.
Management should know the results by early next week, a facility representative said. In the meantime, she said, the home is providing bottled water to residents and special shower filters for bathing as precautionary measures.
“They're doing this voluntarily out of an abundance of caution,” Cole said.
The county does not disclose personal details of individual illnesses, including patient names, because of federal privacy restrictions.
Adam Smeltz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in Northern Arizona University shooting
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released
- What’s old is new at Toll Gate Revival in Lawrenceville
- Pennsylvania hardliners mum on GOP House leadership