1 dead, 1 injured in crash on West Liberty Avenue in Beechview
A crash Sunday evening on West Liberty Avenue killed one person and injured another.
Pittsburgh police received word of the crash near Wenzell Avenue in Beechview about 10 p.m. A Ford SUV flipped and landed on the hillside across from a Duquesne Light substation.
“I heard screeching, then I saw the car hit the curb and flip over,” said Lauren Aguglia, a bartender at Cent' Anni's on West Liberty near the scene of the wreck. “I was on Saranac (Avenue), so by the time I saw it he was already out of control.”
Witnesses said they saw the vehicle careening out of control and heard people shouting to the driver to slow down in front of the Senor Frog's tavern. It landed on its side.
Restaurant owner Scott Aguglia, said he ran outside to join a bouncer from Senor Frog's and a couple of police officers to push the SUV upright so rescuers could reach the passenger. The driver was ejected in the crash, and another bystander was attempting CPR on him as more police and medics arrived, Scott said.
The woman who attempted CPR was Jen Jamen, a former Certified Nurse's Aide who was on her way to her new job cleaning the car dealerships along West Liberty when she came upon the crash and pulled over to help.
“I tried CPR, but the guy was already gone,” said Jamen, 24, of Ambridge. “The other guy wasn't too bloody, but he was holding his legs like he'd broken them.”
One occupant was dead when police arrived. Paramedics took another occupant to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, said Acting Assistant Chief Thomas Stangrecki. Homicide and accident investigation detectives were trying to determine a cause.
Police closed West Liberty between Brookline Boulevard and Belleisle Avenue.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or email@example.com.
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rescuers use hoist to lift horse from Washington County sinkhole
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- FBI questions Allentown mayor, seizes contract documents
- Hempfield woman seriously injured in crash
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Young Nebraska girl’s organs give 2 Pittsburgh-area boys a chance to live