Third suspect accused in South Side stabbing sought in Florida
Authorities in Florida are searching for a third man accused in the stabbing and attempted carjacking of Steelers offensive tackle Mike Adams in the South Side, officials said on Tuesday.
The Allegheny County Sheriff's Office and Pennsylvania State police told the Columbia County Sheriff's Office that Jerrell Whitlock, 26, of Hazelwood is in the area, said Columbia County Sheriff's Sgt. Ed Seifert, who learned of the search about 1 a.m.
Deputies in the northern Florida community obtained photos and descriptions of Whitlock and posted information about the search to the department's Facebook page, Seifert said.
“If he is here, we will find him,” Seifert said. “We want him off our streets.”
Allegheny County Sheriff's Lt. Jack Kearney said investigators received a tip that Whitlock's mother has relatives near Lake City, Fla.
“All indications lead me to believe he's still in the Lake City, Fla., area,” Kearney said. “He would have no other associations there other than family members.”
Deputies there searched several family members' houses, Kearney said.
Pittsburgh police last week issued a warrant for Whitlock on charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault, attempted carjacking and conspiracy.
Adams, 23, identified Whitlock in a photo array as the man who slashed his right forearm and stabbed his left side and stomach during the attack June 1 near the intersection of 17th and East Carson streets.
The other two suspects, Michael Paranay, 25, and Dquay Means, 26, both of Hazelwood, are in custody.
Police said Means pointed a handgun at Adams' head and demanded his Ford F-150 Raptor truck. Paranay punched Adams in the face as Whitlock stabbed him, police said. When the three men ran, Paranay dropped his cellphone, which detectives used to find him.
The trio appear to be members of a gang in Hazelwood, police said.
Means raps as “Quay Meanz” and is a self-proclaimed member of Wiz Khalifa's “Taylor Gang,” a group of musicians and friends of the Pittsburgh rapper.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum superintendent says lack of school tip line was ‘oversight’
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Police: Woman, 18, pretended to be student, assaulted Perry principal
- Banshee trailer featuring Vandergrift released
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Downtown Pittsburgh Macy’s donates bits of history
- Guns, drugs recovered during raid in Wilkinsburg
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Hydrangeas flower year after year with proper care, placement, feeding