Pittsburgh bicyclist dies in Delaware crash
BETHANY BEACH, Del. — Delaware State Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a bicyclist in Bethany Beach.
Police say 66-year-old Dorothy Brenner of Pittsburgh was riding a bicycle Friday afternoon along the shoulder of Route 1 in Bethany. At some point, investigators say Brenner tried to cross over the northbound lanes of the highway in a diagonal direction into the path of vehicles.
Police say one vehicle was able to brake and swerve to avoid hitting Brenner. That maneuver forced another vehicle to brake and swerve to the left, striking Brenner. She was thrown from the bicycle.
Brenner was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver was not injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Clairton board OKs moves
- Christian radio station off air while on the market
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension
- Animal Rescue League, miffed at Vick signing, moves gala from Heinz Field to Consol
- Golfer’s body found in lake at Moon country club
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Former Consol employee wins nearly $587K in ‘Mark of the Beast’ lawsuit
- Nonprofit hospital titan UPMC’s income eclipses record
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury