Pittsburgh bicyclist dies in Delaware crash
BETHANY BEACH, Del. — Delaware State Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a bicyclist in Bethany Beach.
Police say 66-year-old Dorothy Brenner of Pittsburgh was riding a bicycle Friday afternoon along the shoulder of Route 1 in Bethany. At some point, investigators say Brenner tried to cross over the northbound lanes of the highway in a diagonal direction into the path of vehicles.
Police say one vehicle was able to brake and swerve to avoid hitting Brenner. That maneuver forced another vehicle to brake and swerve to the left, striking Brenner. She was thrown from the bicycle.
Brenner was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver was not injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Turkey Trot runners turn out to burn calories despite chilly Pittsburgh temps
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Queen of crime writing P.D. James dies at 94
- Cosby made deal with National Enquirer to spike accuser’s story in 2005
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Pitt plays best game of the season in rout of Kansas State
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby