Power restored in Oakland in area of underground cable failure
Power has been restored to customers in a section of Oakland where there were fears that there had been an underground explosion, a Duquesne Light Co. spokesman said Tuesday evening.
“There was no explosion, only smoke from a manhole,” according to a statement from spokesman Joey Vallarian. “We had an underground cable failure.”
Several streets were closed during the afternoon rush hour after Allegheny County emergency dispatchers received calls of an underground explosion near the intersection of Forbes Avenue and McKee Place.
There were no injuries.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- GM Colbert expects Roethlisberger to end career with Steelers
- Rostraver youth pastor accused of sexual contact with teen girl
- Catholic group to talk about plan to give shelter to illegal immigrant children
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Conneaut Lake borough gets federal money for infastructure improvements
- Route 28 motorists to face new traffic configuration starting Wednesday
- TSA finds .380-caliber handgun in carry-on bag at Pittsburgh International Airport
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires